Monday, August 30, 2010

ODDS AND ENDS--- 8-30-10

Last week while Penny was here Clay came and we talked about some things they suggested I put in my story. Some may be there but I'll just add these from notes I took.
I told them about how we cleaned the Twin groves church. On Saturday we'd go move the benches around and clean under and around them. We may have dusted after sweeping but on Sunday morning one of the girls got to go re dust so the benches would be clean to sit on. We lived up off the new highway that went from south into Utah and thru all the towns and city's up into Yellowstone Park.
It was my turn to go early and dust so as I walked down the side of the highway a pickup truck came and the man stopped telling me he would take me where ever I was going. I told him no I was just going a little ways and he kept slowly following me and told me to climb on the running board. I did finally and as he picked up some speed he reached over and grabbed my hand. I lied and told him I was going to that gate by Laws. When he didn't slow I yelled and Floyd our bishop was milking had heard what was happening and came out of the barn. I guess the man saw him because he did slow down and I jumped off the truck. I walked toward the gate and Floyd ask if I was ok. After the man drove away and I couldn't see his pickup any more I went on to dust. As I remember in hushed voices Laws and my parents talk of a young girl wo had been molested and they thought he was the one. I do remember all while I dusted I was so afraid he would come back and find me. After that we went in two's to dust. I think dad got $5.o0 for our work that went to buy shoes most often.
Penny and Clay didn't know that dad worked at a little shoe shop in St. Anthony some winter months to help provide for our needs. We lived by the old Venice Dance hall at the time and I suppose dad met the shoe man at church. I have tried to remember the mans name but it doesn't appear in my head.
This is one I think I wrote once about my 8th grade graduation in Twin Groves. Floyd's sister Winnie Jenkins sewed a lot and we got some beautiful blue taffeta material and she made my dress. I think back and feel I earned her hours of sewing. She had dishes stacked up every time i went after school so I washed dishes and swept floors changed diapers and what ever else Winnie had lined up for me after school. The dresws I felt was worth it and i felt like cinderella at my grade school graduation. I still have my certificate of graduation some place a bit for wear as I remember.
Since our church was one big room I remember mom talking about how she and Floyd worked at getting the stage built at the front of the building and earning the funds for a heavy curtain that rolled up and down so the stage could be used as a class room for Sunday school. They started having a rodeo and all the festivities that went with it. I doubt the tickets to enter was much as folks didn't have lots of money. Some of the young fellows rode the bronco's and calves etc. that was always fun to look forward to.
After the folks moved so we were in the St. Anthony first ward mom taught a theology class in Relief Society. She was so good in the ward she was called to teach in the stake to the ward sisters who taught that lesson. it was never unusual to go home and find mom studying for her lesson and looking up scriptures in the Book of Mormon to go with the lesson.
When Jerry and Shiela Sharps second son died Verelan, loaded me and my three sisters in the car and we traveled to Parma for the funeral. Jerry wouldn't go to the funeral home to see Jonathan and didn't want Shiela to go. Glenn and we all went in it was so sad to see that little body. For you who don't know what happened I guess I should explain. The sharps lived in a little farm house tht was close to a canal. The two older boys had gone out to play and the older went in the house and was ask where Jonathan was. He didn't know so the search was started. When he wasn't soon found Sheila decieded to look at the canal. She got in the car and as she backed out Jonathan had crawled under the car laid his head on a rock and fell a sleep. It is still hard for me to write about it.
We were invited to stay with Brian and Lois Wright and family. They gave Verelan and I their son's room which had bunk beds unstacked. I slept in the one that was under the window. Some time in the early A.M. hours I was having a very special dream are what ever it was a testimony builder. At the window which I didn't see but there was my parents and Sheila's mother. Alberta was down on one knee with arms out stretched to recieve her little grandson and mom and dad standing behind her. At that time Verelan started checking the time and all that was there disappeared. I had such a strong feeling I needed to write Jerry and Sheila about that but was working and it was easy to put off. One morning I woke up and had such a strong feling they needed to know who came to meet Jonathan so I spent the better part of the day writting to them. Sheila was so appreciative of that information. Jerry wasn't so sure since he didn't then have anyone close from his family to be there. Later his sister was killed in an airplane crah in Alaska and he told Shila now there is some one from my family with him. Jerry has gone on and is bishop of their Parma ward and they have a good family.

No comments: