I called Darleen yesterday around noon I did remember to ask about the milk. She told me she was to young to remember all the details but i had some stomach problem. They gave me some kind of medicine and put an acid in the milk to make it clabber then poured it into the my bottle and shook it till it would be more like milk so I could drink it from the bottle. my I had no idea i caused that much trouble so young.
On with grade school besides the swings and slide we played games. The kids in the big room played with the littler kids and was as i remember very kind to us. we played things like run sheepy run the fox and geese. I remeber one of the older boys grabbing my hand and running with me so i wasn't always the one who had to be the wolf. His mother told mom he felt I needed protecting so he stepped up. In the winter we played in the snow and made lots of trails through the yard. but we got out and got fresh air then would go into the school and hurry and warm our hands by the big round stove that heated the room. then to our seats for more lessons.
When I went into the big room MR. clinger was my teacher and I don't have good memories of him. I was sick when they learned one of the arithmetic things and he made me stand up at the blackboard to try and figure out the concept that I didn't under stand. Of course lots of kids laughed and I felt belittled. I'm still trying to catch up on math. My next three years was taught by Mr Cruiser he and his wife and young son lived in the school apt. I think I learned a lot from him. He didn't like Baker for some reason and always took the bullies side. He threw Baker against the school building and He went home and mom took him back and had a few words with Mr. Cruiser. I don't know if it helped are not. He did take Alberta, Baker and me to Brigham City to pick pie cherries and Beans in his inlaws field and orchard. One morning early Alberta woke up with an awful pain in her stomach. She woke me and had me go wake Mrs. ??? I can't recall her name. She came and decieded Alberta needed to go to the hospital. The hospital was owned and run by the two Dr.s who were brothers. They hurried and operated as her appendix was bad. She spent 10 days in the hospital and on the forth of July the folks came down to get us and take us home. All of our hard earned money went to pay the DR. and hospital bill which amounted to $25.00 if you can imagine that. I bet Kara and Ryan can't relate to that fee 2008 style. I met some nice friends that summer and a family who followed the crops. The girl was about my age and they had a camp wagon they parked under a tree and lived in it as they traveled. If I remeber right they were from the osarcks. We only visited as we picked beans. The beans was hauled to the cannery in Brigham City. I don't know which Company got their label on the cans but it was an expierence in my twelve year old life. Alberta fixed our meals cooked on a two burner hot plate. We did eat meagerly I think. No steak or southern fried chicken.
When I finished the eighth grade we had a graduation ceremony at the church. Again every one came to give support and maybe it was a way to socialize. I needed a dress so material was bought blue taffeta. Winnie and wood Jenkins had built a home and moved into the twin groves ward so if I would go after school watch her children and do dishes that was stacked pretty high and sweep floors she would make my dress. It was all worth it as my dress was so beautiful and fit so nice. I don't remember much about the graduation it self only walking up to get my certificate and hearing my dress sorta crinkle as I walked. I felt so elegant Dawna Dayton also had her make her dress but she chose a tan color and it was softer fabric. Some evenings we were working together while we got our fittings and sewing done on both. Winnie must have learned to sew mostly by trial and erreo as her mom died when the children was still fairly young. Her dad was Mr. Law who didn't like us calling him that and told mom we could call him
Charlie but mom wouldn't allow that as it wouldn't teach us respect for him. They agreed on uncle Charlie. He died when I was quite young but I remeber going to the Law home and seeing him in his casket under a window in the living room. He wasn't a member of the church and I told Clay I hate to think his ancestor was one who was so strong against our prophet Joseph Smith. how ever their family came from Iowa and he donated the ground from his farm for the school house and for the little LDS church we all attended. His son Floyd became our bishop and was that for close to twenty years then later was called again for a shorter time. By then we had moved from Twin Groves.
The Fisher family had sold and moved on and the Angels moved in. Verelan always liked to remind me I grew up with the 'ANGELS'. When bought our cemetary lots he told me we would be by the Angels. I often wonder if that is why he got those two places he wanted to be by the angels. They wasn't all angels as young kids but they were kids. CURLY [IVAN} would get a gang of boys and after getting close to his place he would get the boys to beat up on Jack. We carried our lunch in a honey bucket it had a wire handle and i"d hit some of the boys with it. Trying to make the fight more even.Then some of the older boys going home saw the fight and they took over for a one on one. After Jack fought and won two are three fights the other boys would suddenly disappear. After a few times of fair is fair the fights ended and we went home safely. I guess when I graduated Reba and Jossine helped defend Jack. Jack was accused of taking Curley's spurs which later was found that wasn't true. Mom did her private eye investigation and then took Jack over to Angels and confronted Curley and talked with his parents trying to fix it right. The theif did own up to the deed and his dad took him and the spur back back it didn't make for good feelings with Jack and Curley.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you for writing all this! It's good to read and find out more about your young life! :)
We love you!
Post a Comment